Third World Summit on Millennium Development Goals
Virtue Foundation in partnership with Women Together and the NGO Section/DESA at the United Nations launches the Third World Summit on Millennium Development Goals.
Reaching the targets of the UN Millennium Development Goals under the theme of the Annual Ministerial Review (AMR) 2008: “Implementing the internationally agreed goals and commitments in regard to sustainable development”
- Opening remarks: Joseph Salim (President of Virtue Foundation)
- Moderator: Hanifa Mezoui (Chief NGO Section of Department of Economic and Social Affairs).
- “Women Together and the Millennium Development Goals”: Pilar Ribal (Vicepresident of Women Together).
- Goal 1. Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty: Sangita Sigdyal (Director of the Microcredit Summit Campaign).
- Goal 2. Achieve universal primary education: François Loirot (Director of AIMFOD, UN).
- Goal 3. Promote gender equality and empower women: Ana María Brasileiro (UNIFEM, South America Region).
- Goal 4. Reduce child mortality: Pilar García-Valdés (“curArte” Foundation).
- Goal 5. Improve maternal health: Dr. Stephen W. Nicholas MD., Director, International Family AIDS Program Professor, Clinical Pediatrics and Clinical Population and Family Health, Columbia University.
- Goal 6. Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases: Dr. Stephen W. Nicholas MD., Director, International Family AIDS Program Professor, Clinical Pediatrics and Clinical Population and Family Health, Columbia University.
- Goal 7. Ensure environmental sustainability: Hillary French (World Watch Institute).
- Goal 8. Develop a global partnership for development: Mireia Belil (Director of Forum de las Culturas Foundation).